Wednesday, March 23, 2011

So now you know - say you like it.

For those of you with older kids, you'll remember the first time you let them loose in the kitchen "for real" to make dinner.  For those with younger kids/future kids - it's something to definately look forward to. 

Tonight was that night for me and the boy.  He's 10 and for his health class, the assignment was to make dinner.  Tacos it was.  Now, I can whip up tacos in about 10-15 minutes.  You take for granted knowing how to time things.  Stir the meat, cut up the tomatoes and lettuce, get the shells into the oven.  A 10 year old does not know how to do this.  I gently reminded him every so often, that he can take a break from one thing to get the other thing started. 

While he was finishing up cutting up the tomatoes, I said, "So what do you think of all the work it takes to make tacos?"  He says, "It's alot!"  Then I said, "So think of the things Mommy makes and then when they don't turn out...how do you think it makes me feel?"  Pause...then I said, "so now you know why you should just say you like it."  Little grin and a little understanding from the boy - priceless.

1 comment:

Nutmeg Quilts said...

Gotta try this with my fifth grader! Glad you are appreciated! :-)