Saturday, July 31, 2010

Well, Hills Suck!

LOL - They really do! Which only tells me that I really, really need to start cross training.  So, this week - I will be doing committing to 2 days of CT workouts to try them out.  To me, cross training means sore - sore means hard to walk!  It also means developing muscle and losing fat...so yep.  IT'S TIME.

What are your favorite cross training things to do?  Do you weight train?  I know lots of people kick box and do hot yoga - both of which I don't have easy access to classes...

Oh yeah, why do I know hills suck? Cause the impromtu 5K I did this morning had big - mean -  long ones.  At least they seemed so to me.  My friend's husband who ran the stinkin' 5K in just over 22 minutes - he's like - why does everyone think this is hilly?  Eeeerrrrrgggggghhhh.  whaaaaaattttttteeeeeeevvvvveeeeerrrr dude!  I couldn't hit him cause they gave me a ride to this torture.  I did my normal cheering to all those speedy folks that were coming back from the turning point - It's amazing how people look surprised that I am cheering them on.  If I could run that fast, I would want someone to say WOOO WHOOO!!!  A senior runner lady next to me said - how do you have energy to yell?  I said, cause I walk! (smile) Huff,puff away. I guess I am just a sunny, crazy person out there!  And I cheered everyone on!  Anyone that looked like they were in pure pain - they got a wooo whooo- keep goin!"

Anyway - I did it in 35:52 - So, my plateau has been reached with my current training - 33-36 minutes for a easy-difficult 5K.   My friend asked if I wanted to do another in 2 weeks with her and her sister.  I declined, cause I said I was going into a new phase of training and it would be too soon to race.  I have been researching my next phase and Matt Fitzgerald's Brain Training looks to be the winner.  I am blending in a little Galloway for the long runs, but instead of doing bi-weekly long runs, I am going to do weekly long runs, but do them run/walk/run.  I want to get stronger, but I do not want to get injured and ruin all of this base I have built. 

Well my Maxi has a friend over and I promised a bonfire with some serious smore's action! 

4 comments:

Suzy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love finding new bloggers - or new to me bloggers. You are yet another person to be jealous of...I miss my home state of WI. Write about it lots so I can live vicariously through you. :) Congrats on the hilly 5K. Hills suck, but that is just one blogger's opinion.

abbi said...

Sounds like a good, tough run. I don't belong to a gym or anything, but I love any Jillian Michael's videos for strength training.

Rae said...

I love kick boxing, boot camp, Jillian Michaels dvds like the 30 Day Shred. Good job on the hilly 5K!

runningitoff1 said...

I do a weight training exercise DVD 3-4 times per week plus a Yoga class which I think is essential for my running. Without Yoga I would likely not be able to move some days! How hilly exactly? Winona is all about hilly, I don't think I can run without hitting some major hills around here. It is certainly challenging at times! Good job!