Monday, August 17, 2009

Yum, Yum, Double Yum!

If you are wondering about wanting a new cookbook for the fall - I must recommend The Lady & Sons, Too! and/or The Lady & Sons-Savannah Country Cookbook.  Both are by Paula Deen from the Food Network.  I have had these now, for probably 2 years and have made several of the recipes.


WARNING - these are not recipes for clean eating!  These are stick to your ribs, use real butter, sour cream, etc! 


I searched Food Network to save me some typing, but these recipes were not in there.  I made them for the first time tonight - thus the Double Yum! 


Easy Herb Rolls - Serves 6-8


One 12 oz package refrigerated buttermilk biscuits


1/2 cup melted butter


2 tbs (or to taste - I think I doubled...we love blue cheese!) blue cheese


2 tsp dried parsley


1 tsp of minced garlic, mined chives dried tarragon


1/2 tsp dried oregano & celery seeds


1 tbs onion flakes


Preheat oven 375 degrees.  Cut the biscuits into quarters.  On a greased baking sheet arrange the biscuit pieces into an 11 in long loaf.  I should resemble a loaf of french bread.  In a small bowl, stir together all of the rest of the ingredients.  Spread the herb ed butter over the loaf and bake for 18 to 20 minutes until golden.


Notes - I used onion powder - 1/2 tsp, cause no flakes and did not have tarragon either - still yummy!  I quartered the biscuits and then just kind of mooshed them together so there was peaks and valleys - the better to grab the great herb and butter sauce!  The outside edges did get done sooner, so I tore those off and popped the rest of it into the oven to finish getting golden.  Each little quarter pulls off into it's own bite.  You could totally have this bread with a great salad and it would be plenty filling! 


Recipe #2 - Chicken Breasts in Sour Cream Sauce - the most TENDER chicken breast I have ever made!!  Serves 4-6


8 slices of dried beef (in a jar)  You can find this in the same aisle as tuna in store,


8 skinless boneless chicken breast (7 oz) each.  I usually get the bags of breasts and they are HUGE - so cut those in 1/2.


4 slices of bacon or 1 slice per piece of chicken...


1 c sour cream


1 10 1/2 oz can of condensed cream of mushroom soup - I would actually get the low sodium, because the dried beef is salty...


2 cups of fresh mushrooms sliced.  (I like to coarsely chop these, so you really get good bites of mushroom)


Preheat the oven 300 degrees.  Lay one piece of dried beef on each chicken breast and wrap with 1/2 slice of bacon.  Place in a 13 x 9 casserole dish, seam side down.  Mix sour cream, soup and mushrooms together.  It will be thick, but the juices from the chicken will thin it down and make a great gravy!


Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours - YEP, you need time with this one.  Serve with rice.


Well that does it for recipe sharing!  Paula Deen rocks!  We are trying to lose a bit of weight around here, but I just need to make a good dinner, especially with school starting in a bit.  Plus, gosh - I think I ate 1/4 of the breast and was totally full. 



No comments: